Navigation in a web page should be possible using only the keyboard, particularly for people who cannot use a mouse. This feature is supported directly by the browser. It is important to verify it is operating correctly, as some developments can lead to difficulties to properly navigate the page.
To test if your service is accessible using the keyboard, you can try to navigate without your mouse. All available features must be accessible.
Reminder: the focus must be visible enough on all focusable elements.
List of keyboard shortcuts:
- The Tab key: to move the focus.
- The shift + Tab keys: to move backwards the focus.
- The Return key to activate the element that has the focus (link, button, menu…).
- The Spacebar to check / uncheck a checkbox.
- The arrow keys to change the selection of the radio buttons, to move in a drop-down list, or to scroll (scrollbar) when available.
Note: on Mac, keyboard navigation must be enabled first:
In Safari: Edit > Preferences… > Advanced
Then check the box “Press tab to highlight each item on a webpage”.